Friday, March 1, 2019

Stefan’s Diaries: Bloodlust Chapter 4

The car was pitch black, but our eyes, now capable for nocturnal vision, allowed us to pick out a path by dint of the piles of sooty coal in the caboose. Finally we emerged through a doorwayway into what appeared to be a fantabulous reliefing car. When no integrity was looking, we stole a few dresss and pairs of trousers from an unattended trunk and put them on. They didnt kick the bucket perfectly, but they would do.As we ventured out into the aisle of the seating coach, the t come down grumble beneath our feet, a hand grabbed my shoulder. Reflexively, I swung my arm at my attacker and growlight-emitting diode. A humanity in a conductors uniform flew backward and chance upon the wall of a compart custodyt with athud.I locked my jaw to keep my fangs from protruding. Im sorry You galvanise me and I trailed off. My vox was unfamiliar to my admit ears. For the past week, most of my interactions had been in hoarse whispers. I was surprised at how human I sounded. barely I was much more powerful than my voice betrayed. I hoisted the man to his feet and straightened his navy cap. Are you okay?I believe so, the conductor give tongue to in a dazed voice, patting his arms as if to make confident(predicate) they were still there. He looked to be about twenty, with sallow skin and light-haired hair. Your tag?Oh, yes, tickets, Damon said, his voice smooth, not betraying that we had been in a gallop to the remainder but minutes before. My brother has those.I picnic an angry contemplate toward him, and he smiled back at me, calm, taunting. I took him in. His boots were muddy and unlaced, his linen shirt was un enclose from his trousers, but there was slightlything about himmore than his aquiline search and aristocratic jawthat made him seem almost regal. In that moment, I barely recognized him This wasnt the Damon Id grown up with, or even the peerless Id gotten to know in the past week. Now that we were hurtling out of Mystic move toward some in visible, unknowable point on the horizon, Damon had become somebody else, some ace serene and unpredictable. In these unfamiliar surroundings, I was unsure if we were partners in abuse or sworn enemies.The conductor turned his attention toward me, his lip curling as he took in my disheveled appearance. I hastily tucked my own shirt in.We were rushing, and I drawled, hoping my Southern accent would make the wrangle sound sincereand human. His goldfish-like eyes bulged skeptically, and thusly I remembered a lamia skill Katherine had used on me to great effect compelling. . . . And I already showed you my ticket, I said slowly, willing him to believe me.The conductor furrowed his brows. No, you didnt, he replied just as slowly, taking extra care to enunciate each word, as if I were an especially dull passenger.I cursed silently, then leaned in ever closer. But I presented it to you earlier. I stared into his eyes until my own started to cross.The conductor took a step back and bli nked. Everyone needs a ticket on their person at all times.My shoulders slumped. Well uh Damon stepped in drive of me. Our tickets are in the sleeper car. Our mistake, he said, his voice low and lulling. He didnt blink once as he regardd at the mans hooded lids.The ticket takers lawsuit went slack, and he took a step back. My mistake. Go ahead, gentlemen. Im sorry about the confusion. His voice was distant as he tipped his hat, then stood aside to let us walk into the gentlemens club car.As soon as the door shut behind us, I grabbed Damons arm.How did you do that? I asked. Had Katherine taught him how to drop his voice, gaze his victim in the eye, and force the poor lad to do his tender? I clenched my jaw, wondering if shed mentioned how easy it had been for her to compel me. Images flashed into my question Katherine widening her eyes, begging me to keep her secret, to stop my father from hunting her. I shook my head, as if to fling the images from my brain.Whos in charge now, brother? Damon drawled, collapsing into an renounce leather seat and yawning, his hands stretched above his head as if he were ready to settle down for a long nap.Youre going to sleep now? Of all times? I exclaimed. wherefore not?Why not? I repeated dumbly. I held out my arms, gesturing to our surroundings. We sat among well-dressed men in top hats and waistcoats, who, despite the hour, were busily patronizing the wood-paneled bar in the corner. A group of older men played poker, while fresh men in captains uniforms whispered over tumblers of whiskey. We went unnoticed in this crowd. in that respect were no vampire compasses revealing our true identities. No one so much as glanced in our direction as we sat down. I perched on the ottoman opposite Damon. Dont you see? I said. No one knows us here. This is our chance.Youre the one who doesnt see. Damon inhaled deeply. Smell that?The warm, spicy scent of blood change my nostrils, and the thud of pumping hearts echoed around me like cicadas on a spend evening. Instantly a searing pain ripped through my jaw. I covered my brim with my hands, looking wildly around to see if anyone had noticed the long canines that had shot out from my gums.Damon let out a wry chuckle. Youll never be free, brother. Youre tethered to blood, to humans. They make you desperate and needythey make you a killer.At the wordkiller, a man with a rust-colored beard and sun-dyed cheeks glanced sharply at us from across the aisle. I forced a benign smile.Youre going to repair us in trouble, I hissed under my breath.Yes, well, youve got only yourself to blame for that, Damon replied. He closed his eyes, signaling the end of our conversation.I sighed and glanced out the window. We were probably only thirty miles outside of Mystic Falls, but it felt as though everything Id known before had simply ceased to exist. Even the weather was newthe rain shower had ended, and the autumn sun now poked through wispy clouds, move into the glass that sep arated the train from the outside world. It was curious While our go protected us from the sun searing our flesh, the burning orb made me spirit slightly drowsy.Pushing myself to stand, I took refuge in the dark aisles that led from compartment to compartment. I passed from walking between the plush velvet seats of the first-class cars to the wooden benches of second class.Finally, I made myself comfortable in an unfilled sleeper cabin, drew the curtains, closed my eyes, and opened my ears.Hope those Union boys stick around out of New siege of Orleans and leave it to ourselvesOnce you see those beauties on Bourbon Street, your Virginia virgin wont look the sameYouve got to be careful. Theres voodoo down there, and some say its where demons come out to playI smiled. New Orleans sounded like the perfect place to call home.I settled into the jury-rigged bed, content to relax and let the train rock me into some potpourri of slumber. I found that I fed much better afterward I had rested.

No comments:

Post a Comment